Thursday, March 8, 2012

Homesteading: The Call of the Wild




Call me crazy, but I have a dream of living in the boonies; of having a big garden and fruit trees; of having deer and other critters wander through my front yard; of living a simpler, slower paced life. Actually, the more I think about it - I'm not crazy at all! And I'm sure I'm not the only one who dreams of a "back to the land" lifestyle. Maybe you have the same dream. But, if you're like me, your dream probably smacks right up against reality!

"How can I ever get back to nature when I've got so much "stuff" going on in my life?" That's my common question. I'm a busy husband and father of seven awesome kids - which means our calendar is packed and our bank account is not! Still, the "call of the wild" is strong. There is something very therapeutic about being away from the city where you can breathe the fresh air and see alot more stars at night. Plus, the idea of being self-sufficient is a real draw - especially in our current shaky economy.

My goal is to take small, incremental steps to achieve our goal of living in the country. We are very fortunate to already own 20 acres in beautiful Western Montana. Over the next several months I plan to document the steps we are taking to transform this bare land into a homestead. When will we actually move to the mountains? I'm not sure yet - but thanks for joining us as we try to figure that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment